If you have a trained dog, it would be easier to tackle common behavior problems that they already have or those that can possibly develop in the future, if they know some basic commands. If you want to start your dog with obedience training, of course, you could take a class, but that is unnecessary. You can actually do it yourself! As long as you have the right attitude, this can be fun for you both. So before you go shop for electric dog training collars, here are some of the most important things that you need to learn first about training your dog.
Common Reasons for Training
If you are a dog lover, you know that they can bring us joy, be our companion, and give us
a sense of pride especially if they are well-behaved. However, when your dog disobeys and you have a hard time controlling their behavioral issues, dealing with this problem can be stressful not only for you but also for the dog.
This is why it is your responsibility as a dog owner to make sure that your dog is properly trained. This is not only for your dogs’ welfare but also for you to have peace of mind. There are no age, breed, or even temperament requirements for a dog to be trained. Every dog will be able to greatly benefit from little instructions.
Here are the top 5 reasons why you should consider why training is important for your dog:
- It Benefits Both The Dog And The Owner. Training will not only benefit the dog but also its owner. Work regularly with your fur buddy and this will help you understand what they need. This can even make you a better owner!
- Great Source Of Exercise. Everyone needs regular exercise, even our dogs. Training is a very good source of exercise. This can also mean that if your dog behaves better, all you need is your waterproof dog training collar and you can bring him along wherever you go for a run.
- Safety Reasons. If you can easily control your dog with voice commands, it is easier for you to control them even unrestrained. If you have a dog that bolts off the leash, they can run in front of a car and get injured.
- Dogs Will Become More Sociable. If you train your dogs, they would be able to learn how to respect boundaries. They would behave properly even when surrounded by strangers or other dogs. Other people would also be more comfortable and at ease around her. This can bring positive experiences for your dog. Because of that, you now start reading a dog training review because it would now be easier for you to bring your pooch with you anywhere you go, especially when you hike a lot.
- Boarding Will Be Easier. If you need to leave your dog with a friend or in a vet while you are out of town, boarding would be an easier process if they are well-trained. Sure, your dog might obey some of your commands, but you will know that you have successfully trained your dog if they can also follow orders from other people, even if you are not there.
When to Start Dog Training
If you have a pup, remember that they have a very short attention span. As soon as you bring your puppy home, start house training them. They learn from birth and good dog breeders would usually start to handle and socialize them right away. There are some training that can begin as soon as the pup opens its eyes and walk, but understand that they can only learn simple obedience command.
If you ask formal dog trainers, the traditional way is to delay it until they are 6 months old. But this is the juvenile stage and it would be a difficult time to start. They learn from their experiences and if you delay this, they can miss opportunities. So experts suggest starting obedience training as soon as you can.
Accepted Methods for Training
Before you look for dog training collars for large dogs and bring your pooch hiking with you, training them first is important to avoid any problems during your trek. Dog owners are most often confused about which style or training method should they use. Dog training gas three approaches – Traditional, Modern, and Balanced. All of these work as long as they are applied correctly. Each of these dog training methods is based on different principles too.
- This is based on certain assumptions that dogs need to learn how to obey commands or simple cues from their owners. It is believed that this was made possible because of the respect for the authority that their owners have.
- Remember that it is not true that dogs develop a social hierarchy, that alpha is at the top of the group. According to studies, dogs fight over resources but they do not organize into a ranking system where one dominates the others.
- This is a mix of the traditional and modern methods of dog training. This was a result of dog trainers not wanting to forget about the traditional methods because they do not want to lose control or what they call ‘hedge their bets.’
Tools Needed For Dog Training
Once you are ready to welcome a new dog or pup into your home, working on his manners is crucial. So before your new pet arrives, make sure that you have your training supplies ready and organized so can you can start training on day one. Aside from highest rated dog collars, here are some of the most important items that you need to have:
- This can be used to mark a certain behavior – can be in response to a cue or when it occurs naturally.
- Target Stick. This can help teach basic behaviors like how to walk nicely while on a leash, or maybe more complicated tricks like spin and bow.
- These are rewards to keep your dog interested and motivated during training.
- Portable Mats. This mat or bed can provide a safe place for your dog to settle.
- The training leash can vary in length – about 4 to 6 feet. The leash should be long enough and give an allowance for your dog to move around during walks.
- Collar And Harness. Flat collars hold a dog’s ID tag for easy identification in case he gets out on his own. A front-clip harness is much preferred for most dogs because it can help stop pulling and would be easier for you to guide your dog.
- When training your dog, you will need crates, pet gates, playpens, and even a pet pen to contain your dog and to effectively manage chewing problems.
When to Call a Professional
Training a dog can be both fun and stressful at the same time. Sometimes, dog owners are in denial that their training tactics are not working and they need an expert to help them. Your time management can be in chaos which is why most dog owners prefer to hire a dog trainer instead. If you are still unsure whether to call a professional or not, here are some reasons why you should call a dog trainer:
- Your Dog Growls Or Nips. If your dog has the habit to growl or nip, these are early signs of aggression. It doesn’t matter what the reasons are why your dog does this, but they need to be taught that this kind of behavior is unacceptable.
- Dog Bolts Out The Door. This can become a serious problem for a dog owner. It can pose safety issues not only to your dog but also for the public. As soon as your dog bolts out the door, he can easily end up in the streets and cause traffic. He might even chase or attack a neighbor or another dog in the neighborhood.
- Excessive Jumping. When the dog jumps, they simply show how they love you. But remember that jumping hurts, especially with younger kids. You can get scratched or your dog can knock you over. Dog trainers can help your dog express their affection without scaring or hurting anyone.
- Viciously Guard Objects. Dogs can be very possessive, especially with their favorite toy. However, they should never growl or bite if you try to take it away. Resource guarding can be a very serious problem and should be addressed right away.
- Dog Pulls On Leash. This may seem like a minor problem, but it can get worse especially if you have a big dog. It can also become very dangerous especially if you are trekking. So before you start looking for a place best rechargeable dog shock collar, make sure first that you first address this problem, even though sometimes your dog means well.
It is fun to have a dog at home, but as a responsible dog owner, you should understand that like small children dogs also need to be disciplined in the right way. If you feel like you are not skilled to do this, or if all your efforts are useless, never give up easily. Better yet, hire a dog owner for better results. They have the knowledge and experience on how to train even your most difficult dog.