If you have a trained dog, it would be easier to tackle common behavior problems that they already have or those that can develop in the future if they know some basic commands.
If you want to start your dog with obedience training, you could take a class, but that is unnecessary. You can do it yourself!
As long as you have the right attitude, this can be fun.
So before you shop for electric dog training collars, here are some of the most important things you need to learn about training your dog.
Common Reasons for Training
If you are a dog lover, you know that they can bring us joy, be our companion, and give us
a sense of pride, especially if they are well-behaved. However, when your dog disobeys and you have a hard time controlling their behavioral issues, dealing with this problem can be stressful for you and the dog.
This is why your responsibility as a dog owner is to ensure that your dog is trained correctly.
There are no age, breed, or even temperament requirements for a dog to be trained. Therefore, every dog will be able to benefit from little instructions greatly. This is not only for your dogs’ welfare but also for you to have peace of mind.
Here are the top 5 reasons why you should consider why training is essential for your dog:
- It Benefits Both The Dog And The Owner. Training will benefit not only the dog but also its owner. Work regularly with your fur buddy, which will help you understand what they need. This can even make you a better owner!
- Excellent Source Of Exercise. Everyone needs regular exercise, even our dogs. Training is an excellent source of activity. This can also mean that if your dog behaves better, all you need is your waterproof dog training collar, and you can bring him along wherever you go for a run.
- Safety Reasons. If you have a dog that bolts off the leash, it can run in front of a car and get injured. If you can easily control your dog with voice commands, even unrestrained, it is easier for you to manage them.
- Dogs Will Become More Sociable. If you train your dogs, they will be able to learn how to respect boundaries. As a result, they would behave properly, even when surrounded by strangers or other dogs. Other people would also be more comfortable and at ease around her. This can bring positive experiences for your dog. Because of that, you now start reading a dog training review because it would be easier for you to get your pooch with you anywhere you go, especially when you hike a lot.
- Boarding Will Be Easier. If you need to leave your dog with a friend or in a vet while out of town, boarding would be more straightforward if they are well-trained. Sure, your dog might obey some of your commands, but you will know that you have successfully trained your dog if they can also follow orders from other people, even if you are not there.
When to Start Dog Training
If you have a pup, remember that they have a brief attention span. So as soon as you bring your puppy home, start house training them.
They learn from birth, and good dog breeders usually start to handle and socialize them right away.
Some training can begin as soon as the pup opens its eyes and walk, but understand that it can only learn simple obedience commands.
If you ask formal dog trainers, the traditional way is to delay it until they are six months old. But this is the juvenile stage, and it would be a difficult time to start. Also, they learn from their experiences, and if you delay this, they can miss opportunities. So experts suggest starting obedience training as soon as you can.
Accepted Methods for Training
Before you look for dog training collars for large dogs and bring your pooch hiking with you, training them first is essential to avoid any problems during your trek.
Dog owners are often confused about which style or training method they should use. Dog training gas three approaches – Traditional, Modern, and Balanced. All of these work as long as they are applied correctly. Each of these dog training methods is based on different principles too.
- This is based on certain assumptions that dogs need to learn to obey commands or simple cues from their owners. It is believed that this was made possible because of the respect for their owners’ authority.
- Remember that it is not true that dogs develop a social hierarchy, that alpha is at the top of the group. According to studies, dogs fight over resources, but they do not organize into a ranking system where one dominates the others.
- This is a mix of traditional and modern methods of dog training. This resulted from dog trainers not forgetting about the conventional methods because they do not want to lose control or call ‘hedge their bets.’
Read Next – When should you start shock collar training?
Tools Needed For Dog Training
Working on his manners is crucial once you are ready to welcome a new dog or pup into your home. So before your new pet arrives, make sure that you have your training supplies ready and organized to start training on day one. Aside from the highest-rated dog collars, here are some of the essential items that you need to have:
- This can be used to mark a specific behavior – it can respond to a cue or when it occurs naturally.
- Target Stick. This can help teach basic behaviors like walking nicely while on a leash or maybe more complicated tricks like spin and bow.
- These are rewards to keep your dog interested and motivated during training.
- Portable Mats. This mat or bed can provide a safe place for your dog to settle.
- The training leash can vary in length – about 4 to 6 feet. However, the leash should be long enough and allow your dog to move around during walks.
- Collar And Harness. Flat collars hold a dog’s ID tag for easy identification if he gets out independently. However, a front-clip harness is much preferred for most dogs because it can help stop pulling, and it would be easier for you to guide your dog.
- When training your dog, you will need crates, pet gates, playpens, and even a pet pen to contain your dog and manage chewing problems effectively.
When to Call a Professional
Training a dog can be both fun and stressful at the same time.
Sometimes, dog owners deny that their training tactics are not working and need an expert to help them.
Your time management can be in chaos, so most dog owners prefer to hire a dog trainer instead.
If you are still unsure whether to call a professional or not, here are some reasons why you should contact a dog trainer:
- Your Dog Growls Or Nips. If your dog has the habit of growling or nipping, these are early signs of aggression. It doesn’t matter what the reasons are why your dog does this, but they need to be taught that this behavior is unacceptable.
- Dog Bolts Out The Door. This can become a severe problem for a dog owner. It can pose safety issues not only to your dog but also to the public. As soon as your dog bolts out the door, he can quickly end up in the streets and cause traffic. He might even chase or attack a neighbor or another dog in the neighborhood.
- Excessive Jumping. When the dog jumps, they show how they love you. But remember that jumping hurts, especially with younger kids. You can get scratched, or your dog can knock you over. Dog trainers can help your dog express their affection without scaring or hurting anyone.
- Viciously Guard Objects. Dogs can be very possessive, especially with their favorite toy. However, they should never growl or bite if you try to take it away. Resource guarding can be a severe problem and should be addressed right away.
- Dog Pulls On Leash. This may seem like a minor problem, but it can worsen, especially if you have a big dog. It can also become hazardous, especially if you are trekking. So before you start looking for a place best rechargeable dog shock collar, make sure first that you address this problem, even though sometimes your dog means well.
Read Next – What Are The 7 Basic Dog Commands
It is fun to have a dog at home, but as a responsible dog owner, you should understand that dogs also need to be disciplined in the right way, like small children.
If you feel like you are not skilled to do this, or if all your efforts are useless, never give up easily. Better yet, hire a dog owner for better results.
They have the knowledge and experience to train even your most challenging dog.
101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
$10.99 in stock
183 used from $1.70
Train Your Dog Now!: Your Instant Training Handbook, from Basic Commands to Behavior Fixes
$13.79 in stock
42 used from $1.99